Tuesday, May 10, 2005

peace one day, the update


i have finally sent the email to jeremy gilles, the filmmaker that made peace one day. here a copy of the note id sent. hopefully he replies soon and gets the ball rolling further. im feeling sort of "unworthy" though coz here i am worrying about global peace and yet my own little hole in brooklyn i couldnt seem to find enough motivation to put in order. oh well. blame it on addictive reality tv.
---
Hey Jeremy,

Jason here. We met during the screening of your film in NYU. I’ve been terribly inspired by the film and wanted to update you on a few things that have happened since we met:

1. I have already met with the president of one of the leading universities in the Philippines a couple of days back. I had given him a copy of the film along with a letter I had written encouraging him to share it with the university (and other universities and the religious sector) somehow. I had also challenged/encouraged him to perhaps come up with ideas for the day of celebration itself.

2. I have gotten in touch with a friend of mine back in the Philippines who happens to be the daughter of the presidential adviser on peace process. I had promised that I would try my best to have a copy sent to her mother so that hopefully the government itself could lead in upholding the day of peace and ceasefire. September 21st plays an important, albeit infamous, role in our history actually coz it marks the day when Martial Law was declared some years ago. And for a change, it would be great that the day instead be remembered as a day when no guns are shot and that countless lives are spared... I have gotten the home address of the perfect person to contact and if you could mail her a copy of your packet, that would be great:

Teresita Quintos Deles
Presidential Adviser on Peace Process
61 Sample St.,
Sample City, Marikina
1802 Philippines

3. I have contacted some friends of mine in the film/media industry back in the Philippines to hopefully have it screened in one of the major festivals there to provide greater exposure to such an inspiring film and spread the knowledge about such a worthy cause in that side of the world. The response so far has been positive. And if it would again be possible, could you send a copy of the film to a friend of mine who’s promised to take care of reaching the people who run the festival:

Quark Henares
1111 Sample Road,
Sample Village, Sample City
1222 Philippines

4. I have tried to reach as much of my friends in the Philippines telling them of your great film and great cause. And though it is rather unfortunate they don’t have the exposure to the film itself, their response has been very positive. Some have given leads to other organizations, some have promised to talk about the day in upcoming conferences, some have come up with their own ideas… I guess all it takes now is a consolidated effort among everyone involved. It is a bit of a challenge communicating from thousand miles away but hey, what’s a few thousand miles of land and sea compared to a tie that binds all of humanity. And especially with all the negative rep the Philippines receives internationally, it would be great to show and share with the world our peace-loving nature. And now’s a great time to start.

I’ll update you on other developments as they come up. If there’s any other information you would need, kindly let me know. And if you happen to be around New York again, just give me a shout. And if you need extra brains and hands and feet on the part 2 documentary you're currently working on, I'd love to help out.

All the best,
Jason

-----
If any of you would like to get involved with the project, just shoot me an email. Everything's still a bit scattered right now but the seed idea's there... And I just might have found my lead in getting in touch with the Philippine office here in the UN. But in the meantime, some vacuuming needs to be done in the apartment. Well, after I get done with all these corporate shit, that is (pardon the angst, i feel bad i didnt win the ipod they raffled off this morning here in the office. could've found great use for an extra! GO CAPITALISM!!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home